Brunello di Montalcino
Region: Montalcino, Tuscany.
Grape: 100% Sangiovese. Year 2012
- Our wines can be purchased as a case of 6 bottles, a 2 bottle box or single bottle box, with any combination of wines.
- Free delivery when you spend over £100.00. Next-day delivery when you order before 12.00pm midday (UK mainland only) although we cannot always guarantee it.
YOU MUST BE 18 OR OVER TO BUY THIS WINE.
- Not far from the southern reaches of Chianti Classico, lies the commune of Montalcino, the iconic Tuscan town that seems to perch on a ledge. About a 25-mile drive south of Siena, the climate begins to shift from the damper, cooler continental climate of Chianti Classico to a much dryer, hotter, altogether more Mediterranean environment.
- Another factor that separates these two neighbourly regions is the soil, with Montalcino generally containing more limestone and sand. These differences, along with the superiority of the Brunello clone, make Brunello di Montalcino the most powerful Sangiovese around.
- Along with Barolo and Barbaresco, Brunello di Montalcino has become an Italian heavyweight, sought after by wine collectors the world over, because of its depth of flavour and tongue-curling tannins that lend it the potential to age for decades.
- Fermentation takes place in small, wide containers for around 21 days while ageing in Slavonian oak barrels for 30 months with a further 6 months fining in bottle.
- Ruby red with limpid garnet highlights, on the nose this wine displays ample aromas of wild berries, ripe plums, violets, tobacco, forest floor and leather.
- Full bodied, well structured, soft yet powerful with a strong, decisive character, this will do justice to any red meat: roast leg of lamb with rosemary and thyme, a beefy casserole and the infamous bistecca alla fiorentina (Tuscan-style steak sourced from the indigenous Chianina beef). Anyone else hungry? Serve between 16-18 degrees and open at least an hour and a half before serving.