NEW Barbera d’Alba DOC
Region: Piedmont, Italy
Grape: Barbera. Year 2016
Organic red wine.
- Our wines can be purchased as a case of 6 bottles or in a 2-bottle box with any combination of wines.
- Free delivery when you spend over £100.00. Next-day delivery when you order before 12.00pm midday (UK mainland only).
YOU MUST BE 18 OR OVER TO BUY THIS WINE.
- This red grape, cultivated in Piedmont, is the most heavily planted red grape, accounting for more than 50% of all red wine production in the region. The most adaptable and vigorous of Piedmont's 3 main red grapes, Barbera has a huge range of styles from cherry-scented, firmly acidic and a little rustic to a more rich, robust and silky smooth style.
- Barbera’s typical characteristics are high levels of natural acidity and relatively low levels of tannin, although the grape produces wines of deep ruby colour. This specific bottling is cultivated from a single vineyard of 2 hectares in the heart of Barbaresco, and whilst the fermentation takes place in temperature controlled stainless tanks, it is then decanted into Slavonian oak casks where it is then aged for 12 months before release.
- Ruby red with violet hues, this is an elegant wine that emphasises ripe blackberry and stewed cherry fruit flavours, hints of spice and smooth tannins that when young, will need a little food to tame it. If your local restaurant served pappardelle with hare sauce, slow-cooked ragu’ or wild boar sausages with truffle oil, aside from moving in, look at a Barbera to pair nicely with, failing that, drink it at home with the sort of cheese that is not for the faint-hearted.