Vineyard: Dario Coos
Region: Friuli-Venezia Giulia, North-east Italy
Grape: Pignolo. Year 2014
Organic red wine.
- Our wines can be purchased as a case of 6 bottles or in a 2-bottle box with any combination of wines.
- Free delivery when you spend over £100.00. Next-day delivery when you order before 12.00pm midday (UK mainland only).
YOU MUST BE 18 OR OVER TO BUY THIS WINE.
- Pignolo is a rare and romantic style of wine, that has deep black cherry flavours, tarry tannins and notes of tobacco, cocoa and liquorice that lean towards the similar characteristics of a powerful Brunello.
- With only a handful of Pignolo-based wines in Friuli, there still isn’t much bottled evidence to back up the claim that, according to the Friulians, Pignolo is their great gift to the world of wine, much like Sangiovese and Nebbiolo are from the Tuscans and Piemontese.
- Intense ruby-red in colour with dark purple reflections, the aromas are typically tertiary due to long ageing, lending complex and heady notes of tobacco, vanilla, coffee and ground spice. On the palate, its rich, velvety texture gently envelops the mouth leaving long and persistent flavours on the finish.
- Fermentation takes place in stainless steel tanks for 2 to 3 weeks followed by a lengthy period of ageing in new French oak barrels, where it continues the spontaneous, malolactic fermentation.
- Food: roast leg of lamb with rosemary and garlic, a hearty beef and lentil stew, roast pheasant or a fillet steak. Cheese: chunks of parmigiano reggiano or aged Pecorino.