With the arrival of autumn and the departure of tourists, this is a great time to visit Italy and experience a much celebrated tradition, 'The Alba White Truffle World Market'. It is set up as an open exhibition in Alba’s historic city centre, Il Cortile della Maddalena, where you can admire, sample and buy truffles from the Langhe, Roero and Monferrato woods. There are also numerous exhibition stands presenting gastronomic delights from the region: wine, spirits, liqueurs, cheeses, ham and salami, fresh and dry pasta, breads, traditional cakes, chocolate, products made with Piedmont IGP hazelnuts, mushrooms and of course loads and loads of truffles!
Open from October 7th - November 26th (weekends only).
Admission to the truffle market is €3.50pp
Children up to 15 years: FREE entry.
If you're lucky enough to bring some white truffles back with you, why not try this fresh pasta with white truffle recipe:
Serves 4 – 6 (as starter)
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
1 garlic clove
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large fresh sage leaves
500g fresh pasta
2 tablespoons cream
75g of fresh white truffles
1. Over low heat in a small saucepan, melt the butter along with the sage and garlic and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Season the butter with salt and pepper and discard the garlic and sage.
3. Add the cream and keep warm.
4. Cook the pasta in lightly salted boiling water until it's "al dente".
5. Drain, then toss the pasta with the seasoned butter and cream and toss until mixed.
6. Serve in individual bowls with the fresh white truffle shaved on top.
7. Pair with our wonderfully rounded, expressive and food-friendly Barbera d'Alba for a traditional combination, designed to enhance the flavours of the white truffle of Alba.
8. Buon Appetito!
Very enthusiastic wine lover who loves a party!